Things are happening very quickly in the minors. There are less than two weeks to go in the regular season. South Bend is close to wild-card spot, Myrtle Beach is in, and Arizona and Eugene are pushing for first place in the second half of their seasons. This month Clark and I split up the 10 things duties. He took the major leagues next weekend. I took the minors today. Here are 10 things I think I think about the Cubs’ minor-league system.
1. Ian Happ is turning out to be better than advertised and I think next year we will really see his power begin to take up. I think next year he can start out at Myrtle Beach and move quickly to Tennessee by June 1 if he has a good couple months in the Carolina League.
2. Albert Almora came out back for the pain and game on fire this week he seems to cooled off a bit I don’t quite know what to think of him. I know he’s the best centerfielder the Cubs have in the major or minor league system. I just wish I knew who he was as a hitter but I wish I knew who we could because I am not so sure.
3. I have fallen in love with the swing of Matt Rose. See video below the reasons why. even though he strikes out.
4. Frandy Delarosa is now in an upswing for the Eugene Emeralds. In his last 10 games the 19-year-old second baseman is hitting .370 with 11 RBIs. His average has gone from .250 up to 281 in a matter of 12 days. Can’t wait to see him play in South Bend next year.
5. It’s been nice to see a lot of injured players return to their teams in the past week. Dan Vogelbach got back this weekend to Tennessee and promptly hit a homer. Earlier in the week Tyler Skulina returned to Myrtle Beach, albeit in a relief role to begin. And most importantly, top pitching prospect Dwayne Underwood started his rehab in the Arizona Rookie League and threw 2 shut out endings. That must’ve been a sight to see.
6. Eddy Julio Martinez is still unsigned. I think the Cubs are going to go nuts as soon as the season’s over to get Martinez and a couple other Cuban players.
7. The Cubs Convention tickets went on sale for those staying at the Sheraton this week past week. I keep checking every day to buy single passes and I can’t wait to go. I even asked off for work four months in advance to go! LOL!
8. I made some cool cards in the past month. I got a lot of pitchers from Eugene thanks to a great Facebook page with pictures on it, and Myrtle Beach who also have a nice selection the picture. The thing I’ve been most disappointed about this year is I really haven’t gotten a good picture of Carl Edwards, Jr.
9. Trevor Clifton has a 1.86 ERA in August. I watched him earlier this week and he threw another great game. After giving up a run in the first inning, he settled down and had seven Ks over six innings. His curveball is getting to be a deadly pitch.
10. I think the Pelicans are going to bring home a championship. Even though they won in the first half, and got off to a rough start in the second half, they still have what they need most to win a championship and that’s an outstanding starting rotation. With some timely hitting, a good defense up the middle, and a good bullpen, they have everything they need to win. I don’t know if they will add a player in the next two weeks, but Gleyber Torres or Ian Happ wouldn’t hurt.
Two weeks to go and the MiLB season ends. Hard to believe it’s almost over.