It is nice and quiet in the house right now. The TV is turned off, the yard is mowed, and the dogs are sleeping. A couple of hours ago, the Cubs lost a series with the Brewers in Milwaukee. The bats were very silent this week to drop the Cubs to 28-11, still a very solid record, and the Cubs are still in first place. It was a very disappointing series. They never could get much going on offense.
The Cubs now head to San Francisco. I feel good about the upcoming series and here’s why.
2. On Saturday, Lester takes the bump against Matt Cain, who has been worse than Peavey. Ditto as #1.
3. On ESPN Sunday NIght Baseball, Bumgarner is going against Kyle Hendricks. I am intrigued by Bumgarner’s sketchy season, but then again, he is deadly at home (2.14 ERA in 5 starts). The Cubs could have a rough go of it Sunday night.
4. The Cubs can get out of that series not facing Cueto and Samardjiza. To me, that means we could win two out of three. I think San Francisco is an excellent team. They don’t hit for a lot of power, but they do hit. At 24-18, they are in the hunt for the NL West lead, but they have 3 guys (Panik, Crawford, and Duffy) who are just not hitting. Imagine if they were. Taking two out of three would be a great weekend and a nice bounceback from Milwaukee.
5. The Cubs are human.I know it didn’t seem like it when they put up a +100 run differential in the first 30 games. Since then, it is only at +4 over the last nine games. That explains why they have gone 4-5 over that span.
6. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series. I am not looking ahead to the Cardinals series.
Sunday – The weekly news and awards column appears with minor league players of the week and the team of the week. There’s a lot of good competition for all awards, especially reliever of the week.
Next week – It’s the last week of school for me and I have two ceremonies to attend. So, there won’t be much time to write between the days. I will be doing well just to sleep. Looking forward to Friday when I can begin to recover. However, I do have a couple of posts pre-written for you.
Tip of the Day
On our Facebook Page, we have been putting up a Prospect of the Day post/picture. Check it out and give us a like!