By Todd Johnson
I had a big ole post written about 10 things that I am thinking about. When I was done editing it, I got so mad at myself because it was pretty close to what I wrote on Sunday for the weekly. So, I decided to scrap it.
I have been suffering through a bit of a case of writer’s block and everything I write feels like I have written it before. Instead, for today, I decided to just do a few random notes about the week so far – almost a mid-week kind of post about a few observations.
1. The defense in the minors has been brutal at all four levels. I know it is early in the season, and it has been very cold and wet, but every ground ball and popup is an adventure. I cannot wait until warms up. The pitchers have to be struggling watching it take place behind them.
2. Mark Zagunis – It took a bit, but he has started to come around. He had a spell where he went 1 for 19 but has rebounded and his average is closing in on .300 and he hit his first home run. By the end of the month, he should be clicking on all cylinders. Too bad there is no place for him in Chicago.
3. The start for Trevor Clifton this year is a mixed bag. He is trending towards the good side. He has 14 innings of work so far where he’s given up one hit and not allowed a run. The other inning, a combined 1/3 and 2/3 of an inning, saw him give up 8 earned. He told MiLB.com he has since worked on strengthening his legs after each outing. What happened was that in his first two starts, he sailed through the first few innings in each start without giving up any hits or runs. Then he got hammered in that 1/3 or 2/3 of an inning. On Monday, in his third start that didn’t happen. Trevor needs to continue to improve each start and to have a short memory about the last outing. That looks to be the case.
4. I love to watch Duncan Robinson pitch all around the zone. He pitches up down, in, and out. Eye levels are always changing. Last night, he threw 6 innings while striking out four. He gave up an earned run, but that was the worst of it. For the year, his ERA is 1.93 over 15 innings at AA Tennessee. He’s had one heck of a quick ride as a starter in the minors.
5. Adbert Alzolay is coming east from Mesa. He was called up after throwing 75 pitches in extended spring training. He will be assigned to AAA Iowa and debut tomorrow in Iowa. That assignment signals some serious confidence in the young pitcher. Part of me wants to see him in the bullpen in Chicago come August. Who knows, he could be starting there, instead.
6. Iowa’s red alternate jerseys take some getting used to. However, I am beginning to like them. Now, if I could just get a clear picture of them.
Iowa Cubs have some new road jerseys. pic.twitter.com/sup9ny2ihr
— Todd ⚾🏂🐾🚴🏻 (@CubsCentral08) April 11, 2018
I will be back on Friday with the return of the “Friday 6 Pack” as I look at six ways the system will change in June and July.